Saturday, January 26, 2008

Pancake Emergency!

Ok, I swore that when I started a blog that I would not be one of those people who only posted once a month.....well, enough said if you have seen the date of my last post!
Well, I am reaching out to all of you wonderful chefs out there. I have pancake issues. We do a lot of breakfast for dinner around our house, and it is great until Tim or Anna requests pancakes(can you hear the Psycho music or is it just me?) Here is the issue. I ALWAYS burn them! I have seen them made and I know that you are supposed to cook them on a hot griddle and when they bubble up you flip them etc, etc. It never fails though that I burn them and the middle of them are undercooked. I have tried to adjust the heat, I have tried to put a little bit of butter on the griddle so they do not stick, I flip them as soon as I see the little bubbles pop on top. Bottom line, I need help! Call it silly, but it is so bad that when I failed, yet again, to make successful pancakes tonight, my sweet Anna said "Momma, would it work if you tried making them in the toaster oven?" I am willing to try anything at this point!
I know, "Why is she posting about pancakes?", but my family will appreciate any help you can give! From my pancake loveing family to yours....THANK YOU!


PS. This is the only food I seem to have an issue with. I am otherwise a really good cook! Really, I promise!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm bad about not getting them right too! Walt makes ours!

I was looking online and you have really done everything right. They say practice makes perfect...that's me...I ruin about 4-8 pancakes before they start coming out okay.

Here are some suggestions from "The Perfect Pancake" (www.preparedpantry.com/PancakesAndFryBreads.pdf)

*Get the griddle hot enough: Set the griddle on high or medium-high heat. When the griddle is hot enough, water droplets will dance on the surface. After putting batter on the griddle, turn the heat to medium.

*Cook uniform-sized pancakes: Use a 1/3-cup measure for medium-sized pancakes and a 1/2-cup measure for larger pancakes.

*Cook it right: You can tell when it’s time to turn the pancake by watching the bubbles form and watching the edges of the pancakes. The bubbles tend to cook into little craters and the edges will be dry-looking when the pancake is ready to turn. A little practice
makes perfect.


(This link has recipes and looks really good! It even has a recipe for making your own buttermilk pancake mix to have on hand!)

This should be our New Year's Resloution! Master the Pancakes!

Stephanie Kay said...

I can't really add much to what Sarah's already said. My only suggestion is that for uniform sizes and no-drip mess we use a large scoop (https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=364&catId=123) to drop the pancakes on the griddle. This will allow 4 pancakes on a standard one-burner griddle (we've had to upgrade to a two burner griddle cause it was taking all morning just to cook enough for my guys).

BTW, we also do a lot of breakfast for dinner. = )

Stephanie Kay said...

I meant to add, at least you have 2 posts for the month! = ) I'm hoping for more. = )

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Thanks, Stephanie!

Leslie, there you go...you can order that from my Pampered Chef party!! :)

Tad and Monica said...

I use an electric skillet so there is more precision with the temperature. I've never been able to do them on the stove. I set the electric skillet at 250 and it seems to be a good temp. ?? Might not work, but hey....

Tech Daddy said...

Pancakes is actually one of the two or three things I cook better than Stephanie :-). We have them pretty much every Saturday morning. As Stephanie mentioned, I do them on a two-burner griddle on our gas range. My guess is that you have your pan too hot. It should be a medium heat and it should be at that heat before you start cooking. I usually start heating the griddle before I mix the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients together to give it time to heat up. Then I just watch the bubbling and how much steam the pancakes are putting off to know when to turn them. Usually when those two things start to slow down, they are about ready to flip.

Another suggestion that Stephanie just had was to check how thick your batter is. If it is too thick, it will take longer to cook and thus lend itself to burning. Water it down with some extra milk.

Venus, Lacy & Destiny said...

Good to see someone else in my family, fumbles every once in awhile too! LOL! My best suggestion is come to breakfast at Grandpa Dan and Destiny's Kitchen! Breakfast is their specialty. Of course the cakes and cookies get no complaints either.
Here is our blog address: venusangellee.blogspot.com
I have a hard time keeping up with this blog stuff also. But hey, we do the best we can!
Love ya'll!!!

Sarah said...

Ha! I had to post this...I went to allrecipes.com (my favorite recipe site) and look what I found out???

National Pancake Week runs from January 30th to February 5th!!

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Batter-Up-Its-Pancake-Week/Detail.aspx

Alicia said...

Hi! I'm a friend of Stephanie's from OBU. I know you posted this a long time ago, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth about the thickness of batter. I use Bisquick to make my pancakes and I use a whisk. I follow the directions straight from the box, and it's a quite a thin batter. We use skillet on our gas stove, and they turn out okay. I would love to know if anyone's suggestions have worked. Good luck!