Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bible Studies

Hey friends! I just wanted to throw this out there to see what the responses were. I am looking for a Bible study and hoping that you can help. It seems that so many of the studies I have bought are very "surfacy." By that I mean that the questions that are asked are not very thought provoking or should I say have a lack of depth. PLEASE don't get me wrong! I know there are new Christians out there who need some of the basics laid out for them, and there are not so new Christians who benefit from these as well...these types of studies are necessary, and it depends on where you are in your life at that moment! Also, I am not by any means suggesting that I am "above" those types of studies. I know God can use anything to speak to me.(Even a blog post gone awry!) I guess what I am saying is that studies I have done in the past have not met me where I am and I have felt like I was going through the motions of a study that was not really challenging me to grow in His Word.
Gosh, as I type this I feel like I am digging myself a bigger and bigger hole. Those who truly know and love me know where my heart is on this. I am not judging nor proclaiming greatness. Oh well, my point is that I would love to hear from you about some studies you have enjoyed. What is surface for some may be deep for others and vice versa so I would like your input. I LOVE Beth Moore's studies, but aren't hers more geared towards group settings as opposed to quiet time? I love you all and hope you know my heart! I can't wait to hear about what studies God is using to speak to you!

5 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

I know exactly where you are on this. I haven't found a specific Bible study, but Doug and I are diving into some authors whose books are very challenging. We are using several of them in our quiet times and others for just "leisure" reading (yeah, right!). Anyway, my favorite author is George MacDonald, and I'm reading Discovering the Character of God right now. The one problem is that he lived in the 19th century, so you have to deal with the older language first and then try to chew on the challenging ideas. You also definitely have to go into his writings with the understanding that he has a very different theological perspective than many conservative Christians today. J.I. Packer wrote a book called Knowing God that we are both reading. I was also reminded lately of Richard Foster - his books are very challenging. I hope some of those suggestions help!

Sean and Lendy said...

I feel ya on this one! I would have to agree with Ann on the book thing. I know you love Beth Moore's studies and the group thing can be a challenge. I have noticed that a lot of her studies are also in a hardback book. I was looking at 2 different ones the other day. She has one called "90 Days with Jesus" and another called "90 Days with David." I was interested in both. Hope you get something!

Sherri said...

I totally know what you mean, but I'm not sure that I have any solutions; I've gone through quite a few authors trying to find someething deeper. I can vouch for Packer, Knowing God, I enjoyed him; and he is deeper. Don't worry, you didn't come across the wrong way.

Stephanie Kay said...

I have the 90 Days with Jesus devotion. You can't go wrong with that one! And if you start now you'll finish around Easter which would be really cool.

Kay Arthur's stuff is also very deep and scripture focused.

Unknown said...

I have had the same dilemma over the last year or so. Recently, I found a series by Elizabeth George "A Woman After God's Own Heart." So far, I have completed "Discovering the Treasures of a Godly Woman"...a study on Proverbs 31. It was very good...Scripture-focused. I did this with 2 other women and we are at different places on our journies with Jesus, but each of us gained much from it. After completing that study, I did "Putting on a Gentle and Quiet Spirit"...a study of I Peter by myself. It was very good. Now, I am working on "Becoming a Woman of Strength and Beauty"...a study of Esther. So far, so good. Each of these books are 25 lessons...short, Scripture-focused. I can complete one lesson in about 20-30 minutes if not less. I love these for my quiet time in the morning because they are insightful and are applicable to my daily life. I take something away each day. They are also basic enough to use as my quiet time to jumpstart my day...without getting into the heavy, heavy homework and such of a Beth Moore (which I absolutely love) or Kay Arthur study.
I hope this information helps you. The books are available at amazon for about $8.00. Sherrey