Monday, April 27, 2009

Calling all chefs!

Hello to all of you faithful readers! I have not disappeared, I have been swamped with a few commitments, but I have posts to share. For now, I need some help. I have to have a Cinco De Mayo dish for Anna's school luncheon, and I do not have ANY Mexican food recipes. I know I could go online and find some, but they lie and tell me it is easy, and then I mess it all up! With that said, I would love for you to send me your yummiest, easiest Mexican food recipes. I am open to any suggestions. I will post a picture of the one I choose. If you are on facebook I have already sought help there, so I may choose on from there, but I have a feeling you girls will knock it out of the park! Thanks in advance, and I look forward to cooking!
Posts to come:
*Bow the Knee(Easter Presentation)
*Three dead...er...uh...blind Mice!
*Snakes? Seriously?
*Words of wisdom from a 6 year old

Can you tell it has been fun around here?

4 comments:

The Hibbard Family said...

Okay, I don't know how truly Mexican this is, but it's a favorite in our household, and it's very easy.

1 lb ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
2 sm cans unsalted tomato sauce
crushed Fritos
Grated cheese (we like Colby Jack, but something like Monterrey Jack would give it a more Mexican flavor)

Brown ground beef
Drain.
Add taco seasoning and tomato sauce.
Place half the meat mixture in the bottom of a 9x9 or equivalent pan.
Spread cheese generously over meat. Top with half of crushed Fritos.
Repeat all three layers.
Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Can easily be doubled as needed, but it's a pretty rich dish, so it doesn't take much to make a serving. It also transports pretty well - I've made it on Wednesday evenings before, put it in a casserole carrier, and taken it to church so we could eat supper with Doug.

Unknown said...

My enchiladas are a secret, but I will share my salsa recipe with you...it is wonderful! Scott won't let me buy store salsa anymore...

2 cans diced tomatoes
3 TBS sliced jalepenos (from a jar...Great Value brand has a nice kick)
2 TBS lime juice
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, cut into chunks

Blend first 6 ingredients together in the blender. Add onion and blend until onion is chopped and thoroughly mixed. If you can resist eating right away, put it in the frig before serving to allow the flavors to marry.

This is a double recipe. It makes a little over one quart of salsa which we go through in about a week! You can delete the onions, and you can spice/de-spice with the jalepenos to your own taste.

Enjoy!

Stephanie Kay said...

Two suggestions:
http://stephaniesmommybraininthekitchen.blogspot.com/2008/02/tortilla-stack.html

I'm not sure how many you are making or what the set up is (potluck or individual tastes). This one would be good for individuals if you only do tortilla, beans, chicken, cheese, tortilla. After heating enough to melt cheese cut like you would a pizza.

http://stephaniesmommybraininthekitchen.blogspot.com/2008/08/mexican-chicken-cornbread-stuff.html

Not authentic but will feed an army and could be cooked in cupcake papers if you are needing individual servings.

If you need authentic Tex-Mex then I would go for chips and salsa, quesedilla (sp?), or sopapillas!! My mom had a recipe for those when I was a kid. Just fried dough.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Stephanie Kay said...

WAIT! I just realized YOU are the one in Texas and you are asking for help with mexican food recipes? Considering I live in Rhode Island that's pretty funny! :)